continues as high adventure
in the newly savage ruins of civilization.
In late 2024, Daybreak, a movement of post-apocalyptic eco-saboteurs, smashed modern civilization to its knees. In the losing, hopeless struggle against Daybreak,
O'Grainne, a one-time minor bureaucrat and former Federal agent, rose
to become a vital leader in the struggle to restore civilization. That story was told in Directive 51.
Now Heather's story continues in Daybreak Zero. In
the summer of 2025, she leads a tiny organization of scientists, spies,
scouts, entrepreneurs, engineers, dreamers, and daredevils based in
Pueblo, Colorado. Both of the almost-warring governments of the United
States have charged them with an all but impossible mission: find a way
to put the world back together.
But Daybreak's triumph has flung the world back centuries in technology, politics, and
- Pro-Daybreak Tribals openly celebrate ending the world as we know it.
- Army regiments have to fight their way in and out of Pennsylvania.
- The Earth's environment is saturated with plastic-devouring biotes and electronics-corroding nanoswarm.
- A leftover Daybreak device drops atom bombs from the moon on any outpost of the old civilization it can spot.
to her base in Pueblo to give birth to her first child, Heather
recruits and monitors a coterie of tech wizards, tough guys, and
modern-day frontier scouts: a handful of heroes to patrol a continent. All the news is bad:
- Tribals have overrun Indiana and Illinois
- The last working aircraft carrier sits helplessly out in the Indian Ocean, not daring to come closer to land
- The crash of one of
the last working airplanes kills a vital industrialist
- Tribals try to
force appeasement on the Provi government while the Temper government
faces a rebellion of religious fanatics
- Seventeen states are lost to
the Tribals as California drifts into secession and hereditary monarchy
- Everywhere, Provis and Tempers lurch toward civil war.
Heather's agents may be brave, smart, and daring, but can they be enough? For the sake of everything from her newborn son to her dying nation, can she forge them into a the weapon that can at last win the world back from the overwhelming, malevolent force of Daybreak?
Her success or failure may change everything for the next thousand years,
beginning from Daybreak Zero.