Oh, where do I start with this book? Osho is mystic and guru, also known as Chandra Mohan Jain, Acharya Rajneesh, and Bhagwan Shree Ranjeesh.
I was there for this book at the beginning. I kept thinking, "Hey! This guy is on to something here." Then the problems began:
1. He claims to be a supporter of women, but often times he sounds incredibly condescending about them. Then, he quickly switches his tone that women are the! best! thing! ever!
2. He claims that it is not natural for humans to be monogamous and supports cheating. Further, he thinks this should not be a problem for the other partner if they are cheated on. A few things on this:
a. Osho has disregarded Science in this argument. Humans have evolved to be monogamous just as finches have evolved to crack nuts so the don't starve; just as insects have grown resistant to insecticides; just as viruses have evolved to better kills us.
b. It is, in fact, natural for living organisms to be monogamous. Many species are monogamous - some are born monogamous and some evolve into monogamy. No one is refuting the idea that they are monogamous. Are humans not just another classification of Animal?
c. It seems to be that this statement is merely being used as an excuse for Osho (or whatever) to be non-monogamous and then use it against him or her (likely her, as I am about to explain in a moment) in an abusive method to do what he wants. This totally goes against everything he hates so much about men.
3. This is where I lost it: He claims that women are turned into lesbians because they are so angry at men. I don't even know where to start with this one. I will say this: If you are going to be there as a supporter of women, then you need to be a supporter of ALL women.
4. The contradictions are endless in this book. He hates marriage. "No, I don't hate marriage. Where did you get that idea?" Uh.. from you. You literally just said that two pages ago. He hates men. No, he doesn't hate men actually. I love homosexuals. "Homosexuals should be isolated. Homosexuals are perverts." Dude, get it together.
5. He said Jews sought out the Holocaust because they felt guilty for killing Jesus. ("Just accept the situation in which you are," Rajneesh has stated that "living in poverty is far more dangerous, far more suffering than dying in a beautifully, scientifically managed gas chamber in Germany"; Hitler "killed people in the most up-to-date gas chambers, where you don’t take much time. Thousands of people can be put in a gas chamber, and just a switch is pressed ... Within a second, you evaporate. The chimneys of the factory start taking you, the smoke – you can call it holy smoke – and this seems to be a direct way towards God.") BUT by the way, he hates Christianity, AND there is no heaven, so I don't know how Jews have a "direct way towards God" if there is no God or Heaven to go to.
6. He believes children with birth defects (including deafness and blindness) should be euthanized.
7. For someone who preaches so much about love, he sure has an awful lot of hatred inside of him.
I honestly think he he is doing one of two things with his writing: He is going along with the popular opinion to gain popularity. He is also going against popular opinion in order to get people talking about his book.
I am left with two words to describe Osho: Whackjob and Phony.
Do not buy into this crap.