Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Wat Chiang Man (sometimes also written as Wat Chiang Mun) is a Buddhist temple (Thai language: Wat) inside the old city (which is contained within the city walls and moat) of Chiang Mai, in northern Thailand. Wat Chiang Man was built in 1297 CE as the first temple of Chiang Mai on the spot which had been used by King Mangrai as a camp during the construction of his new capital city Chiang Mai. Chedi Chang Lom - the ''Elephant Chedi'' is the oldest construction within the temple complex. The square base supports a second level which has the front half of 15 life-sized brick-and-stucco elephants emerging from it. The elephants seem to carry the upper levels of the building on their backs. The gilded upper part of the chedi contains a bell shaped relic chamber directly underneath the pinnacle.