Why a book for ACTORS on the subject of HAPPINESS?
Being generally happy and fulfilled is not only something everyone deserves, it is absolutely essential to the success and longevity of an actor's career. Actors face a unique set of challenges, and no matter what level a career is at, uncertainty, rejection, judgment and disappointment are all part of being an actor. Happiness is often placed in the hands of what happens ‘out there’—booking the jobs, getting good reviews, making that money— yet the truth is, circumstances are only 10% responsible for our happiness. 50% is due to our genetics and, most significantly, 40% is in our own hands. It turns out, happiness is an inside job.
An award-winning book, How to be a Happy Actor in a Challenging Business: A Guide to Thriving Through it All
takes you on a journey of self-discovery and empowerment. You will learn the activities that have been scientifically proven to boost happiness levels, and discover some of the world’s most powerful spiritual knowledge on the subject. There are practical, transformational steps that will help you navigate the worlds of stage, film, and television with a foundation of self-esteem and personal power. You will hear stories of Hollywood actors as they have adopted these keys and moved toward happier, more fulfilling lives, and you will be let in on some powerful inside perspectives from four of our top industry professionals—Emmy-winning producer/director David Nutter, Oscar-winning actress Christine Lahti, Emmy-winning casting director Mark Teschner, and Artios-winning casting director/acting coach Risa Bramon Garcia."The title says it all . . . This book is really needed in our industry!"
- Eric Dawson, Emmy-winning casting director (American Horror Story, The Mentalist, Glee
) "(Justina Vail is) a fabulous teacher. She reminds us to take a journey—to 'keep growing and learning in the midst of impermanence and unknowing'—a lesson we often forget!”
- Margie Haber is a top Hollywood acting coach and author of How To Get The Part Without Falling Apart.“Justina explores the psychological, scientific, and even the spiritual aspects of truly being happy and comes up with some of the best advice I’ve ever heard on the topic. 'Happy Actor' is a must-read for every actor at any stage in their career.”
Mark Atteberry is an award winning actor, photographer and co-author of The Working Actor’s Guide to LA"With razor sharp wit and a sensitive hand, Justina's genius approach to the business lies in a formula that is easily applied to most aspects of life. As actors, the challenges we are conditioned to view as mountainous magically diminish with each passing chapter, until we are on a pleasant journey through friendly, manageable terrain. If 'could've', 'would've', 'should've's mean anything, this book tells you that you still can. Read this book and fire your therapist!"
- Alex Manette, actor (The Butler, We Need To Talk About Kevin, Shame, 2 Days In New York, Law & Order and The West Wing.
)“Be happy with yourself. Then be a happy actor. Justina shows us how. (This book is) a breath of fresh air that's all about enjoying the journey. Because having a successful career is all about the journey. It never ends. Book a job. Finish a job. Need a job. Repeat. Why not make it a happy journey?”
- Anthony Meindl, artistic director of Anthony Meindl's Actor Workshop."Justina Vail has articulated some of the best kept secrets of longevity and joy behind all great acting. . . Her insights are hard won and spot on. . . Lessons from a true Master.”
- Jeffrey Marcus is a Hollywood actor and acting coach.