About This Book
- Leverage all the power of well-known web technologies such as Node.js/io.js, HTML5, and CSS to develop desktop applications
- Develop and deploy modern desktop applications on Microsoft Windows, Mac Os X, and Linux
- A practical guide that demonstrates how developing applications on NW.js differs from standard server/client programming
Who This Book Is For
If you are an experienced Node.js developer who wants to create amazing desktop applications using NW.js, this is the book for you. Prior knowledge of HTML5, jQuery, and CSS is assumed.
What You Will Learn
- Develop a fully working NW.js desktop application from scratch
- Take advantage of third-party tools to simplify the packaging process of NW.js applications
- Create an astonishing user experience using Native UI APIs
- Debug NW.js applications with Chromium DevTools, Crash dump log files, and third-party debugging tools
- Package and deploy NW.js applications on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- Take advantage of Browser Web APIs, expanding on data persistence solutions and security
- Avoid common programming mistakes by integrating prior knowledge of Node.js with NW.js development
Using Node.js, we can create web applications easily. Now, thanks to NW.js, we can also create desktop apps with it using a unique combination of HTML5 and Node. NW.js is a runtime application based on Chromium and Node.js.
You will implement your first simple application right from the first chapter and see how easy it is to use the platform, after which you will learn about Native UI APIs and the different approaches to Node.js programming.
You'll get a complete picture of the many possible ways to package and deploy NW.js applications on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. So, get ready to explore NW.js and build a real, and complex, application.
Alessandro Benoit is a 31-year-old web developer from Italy. He currently works both with backend and frontend technologies, ranging from PHP development, mostly on WordPress and Laravel, to web design and building open source jQuery plugins. He's also an early adopter of NW.js and the developer of Nuwk!, an open source application that simplifies the building process of NW.js applications on Mac OS X.