One of the greatest contributions you can make to society, no matter where you live, is to be healthy - both physically and mentally. It is one of the best ways to take pride in yourself. Learning how to have a six-pack can build confidence in all areas of life.
If you live in a bustling city or in the leafy suburbs, the one thing that everyone has in common is publicly available FREE fitness equipment. I'm not talking about dedicated weight machines, but instead an assortment of fences, staircases, ledges, park benches for workouts that involve nothing but your own body weight.
Why? It's all about getting back to basics, and using the tools that the great outdoors provides us, to improve and enhance our lives and to become urban warriors of fitness! You owe it to yourself to expand your workout regimen, and utilize your urban environment to achieve optimum health and vitality.
It's all about balance with nature, and using your body's weight to get in shape. Using your own bodyweight can be challenging, but will help you realize your own potential. Remember those school days of playing football, basketball, baseball or field hockey? The workouts for training consisted of nothing but jumping jacks, push-ups, leg lifts and sit-ups. It worked - right?
No matter where you live, how old you are or what shape you are in, outdoor exercises using your own body weight is the answer. You can workout anytime and anywhere, because your workout equipment is always available and with you. It is resistance training at its best. Your body has its own built-in, natural limits to help you reach your fitness goals.
One of the most important goals to achieve is muscle. Muscle keeps you strong, young, burns calories and protects your joints. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn - even just sitting here reading this book. Muscle creates a furnace in your body that speeds up your metabolism.
Using your body is not the only way to add or change resistance. Adjusting the angles in your exercises can shock your system and transform your body even more quickly. Staying fit is all about lifestyle and once it becomes a part of your life, it becomes effortless and produces incredible changes in your physique.
Eating right, staying hydrated, sleeping well and getting fit, using your own body for workouts outdoors or in. It doesn't matter!
There are certain outdoor features that every urban environment can offer, including:
- Building overhangs or ledges - pull-ups can be done from these by holding on and bringing your knees up to the chest.
- Traffic lights - these take effort to climb but also offer bars to do pull-ups or chin-ups.
- Park benches - these are great for jumping up on with both feet and work well for push-ups.
- Hills - sprint up and down hills, wherever you find them.
- Stairs - always take the stairs whenever you can. Skip a step as you go or run up and down them as fast as you can. See how many flights you can climb.
- Construction sites - so much to do for exercise! You can do deadlifts with cement blocks, sandbags to move and who knows, you may get offered a job! Remember to ask for permission, not to trespass and to be aware of health and safety.
- Cars - use the cars as motivation to run with on the sidewalk or perhaps lift the back end of your car.
- Dumpsters - treat them like sleds, and push them for a great workout.