Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Virginia Air Line Railroad (VAL) was a short-line railroad that operated from 1908 to 1975 in Central Virginia. It was built by the Virginia Air Line Railway Company to connect the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad''s (C&O) Piedmont Subdivision at Lindsay, Virginia, to the Rivanna Subdivision of C&O''s James River Line at Strathmore Yard, near Bremo Bluff, Virginia. The route was once an important link for providing coal to power the Washington, D.C., area. However, facing increased competition from other modes of transportation such as trucks and automobiles, service on the rail line was cut back and eventually abandoned after 67 years of declining use. In 2003, the Fluvanna Heritage Trail Foundation acquired the right-of-way of the old Virginia Air Line for adaptive re-use as a rail trail. The pathway was cleared and publicly opened in 2004. In 2005, the foundation undertook restoration work to open a museum at the trailhead, as well as designing a replacement bridge at the Rivanna River in Palmyra, to provide access to views of the area.